Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thoughts about Liberia

Since publishing my memoir, "Sweet Liberia, Lessons From the Coal Pot," I have happily re-opened the mental file of Liberia. When I fled Liberia, August 8, 1990, 8 months into the Liberian Civil War, thought then to be a "rebel incursion," I thought at first that I would be retreating only briefly to America. I prayed that the violence would stop and I'd be able to gather my family and return, reopen my school, resume my life on Chubor Road, to re-establish my relationships in Liberia.

Unfortunately that was not to be and Liberia was plunged into 15 years of Civil War. In the twenty years that followed my departure I received letters about acquaintences and friends in Liberia that I could not bear to open and simply put aside. All I allowed myself to think about was how to retrain my five children for life as Black children on the South Side of Chicago. I needed to teach my children about gangs, and drugs, and how not to trust adults you didn't know, and about African American history, the part that includes lynchings, Jim Crow and institutional racism. In short I had to teach them how to navigate America, a new home where they would have less freedom and less human dignity than they had experienced in Liberia. It was really, really hard to lose the promise that I had come to Liberia with, and to convince myself that it had never existed so that the loss of it was not so painful. That's what I did in the years between 1990 and 2007 when I began to seriously write the vignettes and stories that would become Sweet Liberia, Lessons From the Coal Pot.

8 comments:

marwa said...

جلي بلاط بالرياض
تنظيف الكنب بالرياض
رش المبيدات بالرياض
رش المبيدات بخميس مشيط وابها
تنظيف المجالس بالرياض
تنظيف الفلل بالرياض
عزل الاسطح بالرياض
كشف تسربات بالرياض
تنظيف الشقق بالرياض
تسليك مجاري بالرياض

yanmaneee said...

vans shoes
yeezy boost 350
golden goose sneakers
golden goose francy
jordan shoes
longchamp handbags
moncler coat
vapormax
nhl jerseys
christian louboutin

elrahma said...


Residence Cleaning Products and services

Infinite Xtensions, Housekeeping Company Pune. There is no time for deep cleans & all of that with in a 2-4 hours once a week clean. That they bring the same eyes for detail and level of responsibility to property cleaning work that that they apply to their after-hours work, university studies and art or musical routines. When I just say carpet cleaning service, I'm conversing about going beyond hoovering a floor. Each of our cleaners are continuously analyzed by our customers following each cleaning service. The downside there is you'll possess to change your hours to early nights usually, and so unless you're willing to, or need to do that, you may need to think that through.

Well just corner off clean my residence and make it look more attractive when compared to the way ever” because Superior Cleaning service Service of Castle Ordinary is here to support. You will eventually acquire to the stage where you have got enough employees and lead people and you can be in a position to stop functioning in your business and begin running your business. Corporates and Domestic premises have a need of glass-cleaning services too, and we are offering such solutions also. I actually do cleaning for my personal in laws rentals when ever people move out.شركة نظافة
تنظيف منازل بالرياض

شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
تنظيف كنب بالرياض
تنظيف شقق بالرياض
تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة عزل صوت بالرياض
غرف نوم جديدة للبيع بالرياض

yanmaneee said...

stephen curry shoes
supreme hoodie
adidas stan smith
nike cortez women
lebron 17
balenciaga shoes
kd 12
vans
christian louboutin shoes
off white jordan 1

انجين محمد said...

شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
شراء اثاث مستعمل بالدمام
شراء اثاث مستعمل بالقطيف
شراء اثاث مستعمل بالجبيل
شراء اثاث مستعمل بالخبر
حقين شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
شراء اثاث مستعمل شرق الرياض
تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض

انجين محمد said...

عزل خزانات ببريدة

عزل خزانات بجدة
عزل بجدة
عزل اسطح بجدة
عزل حراري ومائي بجدة

شركة عزل اسطح بالقطيف
عزل اسطح بالخبر
عزل فوم بالقصيم

nasmison said...

from this source my response visit homepage site imp source website link

Anonymous said...

golden goose
cheap jordans
curry shoes
off white clothing
yeezy
golden goose sale
air jordan
off white shoes
nike travis scott
steph curry shoes